Thursday, February 24, 2005

Borneo

Borneo is a huge improvement on KL. My transfer from the airport didn’t show and while I was standing there obviously looking a bit lost a woman approached me and insisted I let her and her husband drive me to my hotel – they turn out to be Malay Catholics who were best friends with a priest from Galway – bloody Irish missionaries got everywhere!

The hotel is great and my room is next to the presidential suite looking out over the rainforest – I guess it’ll do ;-) The pool is exactly what I needed, although the snakes are a bit disconcerting ;-) A lot of middle-aged French couples here, for some reason. Again, I’m the object of fascination but writing in my notebook seems to help – the waiters are treating me like I’m a travel journalist – happy enough with that!